I have a few go-to side dishes and this is one of my favorites. It looks so unassuming, but it totally rises to the occasion.
- Green beans – I almost always use frozen Trader Joe’s French-style green beans, they’re super-cheap and delicious, but it’s great to use fresh too!
- Onion Powder
- Sliced Almonds (Sam’s carried big bags of sliced almonds during the holiday season. Try to get them before Thanksgiving because they don’t carry them long!)
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in your skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is nice and hot (you’ll know by how viscous it is; as it gets hotter, it will be almost as quick as water when you swish your skillet around), dump in your green beans. Immediately shake in some onion powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you’re using the Trader Joe’s green beans, go ahead and toss in a small handful of almonds. If you’re using fresh green beans, they take a little bit longer to cook, so just stir it around for a little while before you toss the almonds in.
- Watch the almonds for signs of toasting. Once they start turning golden brown, your green beans should be ready! Eat them with basically anything, you can’t go wrong.