- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 lb Italian sausage – I get one regular and one hot, but you can do whatever you want.
- ⅔ cups white wine
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Optional: A splash of jarred marinara sauce (about a half a cup)
- Melt the butter into the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Toss in the onion and garlic and saute until they are beginning to brown and very tender. Add the sausage and saute until cooked through, trying to break it up as evenly as possible while you cook it. Drain the fat.
- Boil some salty water and prepare your pasta according to package directions.
- Pour the wine into the skillet with the drained meat mixture and boil until most of the liquid is gone. This won’t take very long. Add the tomatoes with their juices and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add in the cream and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. At this point, I like to pour in just a little bit of marinara sauce too. I think it adds a little bit of dimension and it makes the dish just a touch saucier, which I like.
- Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.